SPECIAL SITUATIONS FOCUS
Traditionally, private equity (particularly venture capital) has been an asset class that offers the potential for high returns and explosive growth, though it presents risk in the form of high deal-loss ratios and technology development risk. SoTech Ventures utilizes a new model aimed at achieving great returns for investors while minimizing the downside risks.
A Unique Formula
As a leader in the arenas of public-private partnership and innovative finance, the SoTech team excels in connecting distressed or “stranded” technology assets to non-dilutive philanthropic capital. We have the flexibility to either engage with investment firms in a unique Venture Partner capacity or participate in a private equity capacity by acquiring re-structured technology assets or spin-outs. In doing so, SoTech combines detailed due diligence and deep understanding to provide profound advice and actionable insights that lead to favorable outcomes:
Identify and re-build start-ups that have social impact potential
Refocus distressed technology companies into social enterprises
Foster, grow, and guide these companies to success
The Inherent Advantages
SoTech Ventures is strategically positioned to directly or indirectly re-capitalize your portfolio companies with resources from the public and private sectors. Leveraging previous investment in these companies and their technologies allows SoTech to achieve tremendous upside while simultaneously limiting risk factors.
- Identify under-capitalized or distressed companies that have stranded technologies with unrealized social impact applications.
- Identify prospective partners from the public sector that have missions and social impact metrics aligning with the identified stranded technologies.
- Structure public-private partnerships that allow portfolio companies that hold these stranded technologies to access non-dilutive philanthropic capital (i.e. foundation grants, donations, etc).
- Deploy a varied combination of non-dilutive philanthropic capital along with traditional capital for the re-development of these stranded technologies into social impact technologies.
- Re-brand, re-launch and scale portfolio companies as social enterprises.